Friday, October 28, 2005
An eighty five? Thou canst not be serious!
My daughters usually make VERY good grades in school. They are "A" honor roll all year and rarely ever make "B's"... So, when Amanda brought home her progress report yesterday and had went from a 97 to an 85 in three weeks in Reading, I was floored. I mean, eleven points in three weeks? What the hell is going on?
So, I asked Amanda what the deal was and she said she didn't like Reading. Uh, I beg your pardon? This from the girl who just read six hundred pages of Elf Quest (which, granted, are considered "graphic novels"... but six hundred pages people!)... this from the girl who is now reading the Zenda books... the from the girl who reads while she eats, when she is in the bath, while she is laying in bed at night.... My daughter loves to read!
I asked her how someone who loves to read as much as she does could not like her Reading class and she answered that she doesn't enjoy the things that they read in that class.
Ha! I can do this one! I thought. Now, some background here people... when I come across an issue with one of my daughters that I haven't come up against before, I tend to tell them we will discuss it the next day. That gives me a chance to talk with my friends or get on a parenting message board or just google it. Because I want to do the right thing, I want to make the right call. But this, I thought I had this.
I tell Amanda that part of loving to read is reading things you don't always enjoy to broaden your horizons. You have to read the other books because they open your mind to ideas and thoughts you may never have had without them. You have to read the Lord Of The Flies and the Hiroshima's for what they have to offer you. I got up and walked over to my bookshelf and grabbed Romeo and Juliet from the Shakespeare section and held it up for Amanda.
"You like Romeo and Juliet right?"
"Yes. It's a great story."
"Well, have you ever read Romeo and Juliet before?"
"No."
I flip open the book to a place in the middle and read:
What devil art thou, that dost torment me thus?
This torture should be roar'd in dismal hell.
Hath Romeo slain himself? say thou but 'I,'
And that bare vowel 'I' shall poison more
Than the death-darting eye of cockatrice:
I am not I, if there be such an I;
Or those eyes shut, that make thee answer 'I.'
If he be slain, say 'I'; or if not, no:
Brief sounds determine of my weal or woe.

I closed the book and looked at Amanda...
"You see, even though it is a wonderful play and a great story, it is hard to read. The first time I read Romeo and Juliet, I had a very hard time with it. I would have to go back and read an entire page over... but it was worth it. In the end, I got to experience the entire play. That's how the books that you are reading now are. They may not be fun to read all the time and sometimes you may even have a hard time with them, but while you are reading them, you are learning things and you don't even realize it. It will help you later to appreciate other books even more."
Oh yeah, go Mommy!
"So, do you get what I am saying? Do you understand now why it is important to not only read what you enjoy but also the stories that you have to read in school?"
She looks up and me and chews her thumb nail for a second.
"Not really Mommy... But, can I have that?" She gestures to the book I am holding which I hand over. I am thinking she is going to flip it open and she how hard it is to read for herself. Instead she gets up and goes to her room.
When I walked by a few minutes later, she was laying in her bed reading. She was on the fourth page of Romeo and Juliet.
So much for my huge Mommy speech.
so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 6:05 AM
| link to this post | 3 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer