Wednesday, May 27, 2009
recycled bad-ass thing of the day: Kitchen Composter Kit
I'm SO glad I get to feature this. It is made from 70% post-consumer recycled plastic which qualifies it for this post, yay! Now, those of you who've been to my house have seen my Worm Hotel... I am a big fan of composting. I can accomodate up to ten thousand worms and compost several pounds of compost weekly. However, since a lot of people I know make The Yuck Face when I talk about it, I realize that vermicomposting isn't for everyone.
So if you can't handle the little wormies, then you can just do the regular composting route. Whatever keeps your scraps from the dump.


From their site: Being a weekend gardener and a houseplant lover, as well as someone who ends up with plenty of fruit and vegetable scraps in the kitchen, it pains me not to have room for a compost bin in my yard. Anyone with compost experience knows how valuable that ''black gold'' is for providing nutrients to your garden. And it's basically free — but only if you have a composter.

Enter the Happy Farmer™ Kitchen Composter and the microbial ''Bokashi''™ that enable you to have all the benefits of a composter without the space commitment or the sometimes backbreaking work.

You can keep this bin under your sink or on the counter. It holds and composts a whole lot of scraps, from fruit and vegetables to meat, bones, cheese, coffee grounds, etc. The Bokashi™ microbes are the secret to fast and thorough decomposition. Each time you add scraps, you add a handful of Bokashi (instructions included) and stir only what you've just added. Within several days, you will have compost tea (there is a spigot on the bin) and be able to water your plants/garden with nutrient-rich liquid (1 Tbsp/1 gal. water). When the bin is full, you let it sit undisturbed for 2 weeks (to decompose everything) before then burying the contents in a spot in your garden, where it further decomposes for another 2 weeks, after which it is ready to use.


Get one.
That is all.
Oh, except that if you know about something recycled and awesome, shoot me an email, link's on the right.

Labels: , ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 1:24 AM
| link to this post | 0 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer