Monday, October 19, 2009
What I am making for dinner tonight - Stuffed Shells
I know, exciting right?
I thought I would post so you could see how I improvise dinner more often than plan it :) I knew when I went to the store I wanted to make stuffed shells sometime in the two week period following my shopping trip so I bought two boxes of shells and some alfredo sauce... that was all.
Why?
Because I always have chicken breasts frozen in my freezer (or ground beef/turkey if you aren't into chicken quite like we are) and I figured I could just wing the rest.
I started by putting about four cups of water onto boil with one tablet of Knorr's Caldo de Pollo (otherwise known as chicken bouillon but from the Mexican Food section of our local Wal-mart....I know I should be using all natural chicken stock but I haven't quite gotten there).

Then I took the rest of the parsley I had in the fridge which was getting dried out and threw it in there. I took four cloves of garlic and minced those into the boiling water. I cut up about a half of a large yellow onion, chopped into very small pieces and chopped up three green onions and put those in as well. And then, just for giggles, I threw a sprig of thyme in because I happen to have thyme and I try to use things before they go bad. [I have no freaking clue what flavor thyme adds to my food, but I had to buy it for a recipe a week or so ago so I am putting it into everything...] I also added a few sprinkles of crushed red peppers. I let that all cook for about ten minutes and then, because I am a breaker of the rules, I dropped three frozen chicken breasts in.
While that was cooking, I started boiling the water for the shells.
Once the water for the shells is boiling I removed the chicken stuff from the heat and allowed it to begin cooling on a back burner.
It smelled freaking good.
I have a whole bunch of fresh spinach in my fridge because I buy fresh spinach every time I go to the store. I took the stems off, rinsed it and cut it up. Then I put it on top of the chicken mixture so it can cook a little AND get the flavor of the chicken and veggies.
When the shells were done, I drained them and set aside.
Then I strained the chicken mixture reserving the broth because (1) you will need some later and (2) you should save it for another recipe later in the week so you don't have to use preservative packed bouillon cubes. So I've heard.
Run the chicken mixture through the food processor adding a little of the broth to help it mix well. You don't want it soupy, just juicy.
Salt and pepper to taste. Now do you have some mozerella? This would be a good time to throw about a cup in. I don't have any so I am using the remaining parmesan I have to give it a little extra FLAVOR.
I use this stuff more than anything else in the world. (shhhh)
Last, I pour an entire jar of alfredo sauce into an 9/13 glass casserole dish and stuff the shells, setting them into the alfredo sauce.

I cover them and bake them at 350ish until they are hot, then sprinkle the tops with parmesan and serve. [no after picture because I actually wrapped these up and put them in the fridge so we could eat them the next day which was The Busiest Day of our week... and once they came out of the oven, well there was no way the girls were giving me a chance to take a few shots...]
My kids LOVE stuffed shells and I always make them with whatever I have available so they are always different. And if I can make stuff from scratch and without a recipe, so can you :)

Rough indredient list...
Chicken Bouillon
Minced garlic
Onion (1/2)
Green onions
spinach
Chicken Breasts
Jumbo Shells
Alfredo sauce
Parmesan or Mozerrella

Labels: ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 10:14 AM
| link to this post | 0 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer