Saturday, November 19, 2005
Dear Amanda,
At exactly 8:20am, November 19th, 1996, you changed my life. You made your way into the life of a sixteen year old girl and turned her into your mother.
I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I found out I was pregnant with you. I often joke that I thought I was getting a puppy, that I thought having a child meant little more than feeding someone and keeping them clean. I had no idea.




That's a first place there baby!

As with most first time mothers, my labor was long - very long. Like, I went into the hospital with contractions on the seventeenth and you weren't born for two whole days. Yeah, like that kind of long.

no more Mommy!

This was to be the first glimpse of that stubborn look you get in your eye that says you aren't budging. When you look at me with that challenge in your eyes just daring me to make you. You have such strong resolve and such a solid stance. When you've made up your mind about something, you stand by it with your all. There are times when, despite rhyme or reason, I just have to actually make you do something that sounds so ridiculous to you and you just hate it. You hate it when you've logically thought something out and it makes perfect sense to you and I am telling you that sense can be damned because you just have to go to sleep already and you just shatter inside. I can see straight through your eyes and that waiver of your control just switches on the tears.
You get this from me. This connection between frustration and tears. The inability to understand why something that makes so much sense to you just doesn't make sense to someone else. And when you've lost, when you haven't gotten your way even though it makes all the sense in the world that you should have, you just have to cry. I do this too, Amanda. Probably a lot more than you've ever seen, but I do it too.


Amanda reading

You have such an innate ability to adapt. I see it in you every day, I have since you were very little but it has shown so much more since you've started school. Your first day of school scared the ever loving shit out of me. I watched you put on a back pack and walk into a classroom full of people you didn't even know and sit at a desk you had never seen before and just brace yourself for whatever the day was going to throw at you. It broke my heart to let you go, to surrender my baby to a world that was out of my control. I waited for you to beg me to pull you out and reassure me that you still needed me, but you just smiled and waved.


My Third Grader

Weeks later, you had your first run in with acceptance. You came to me with your first ever problem in school. I remember you asking me if you could start taking your lunch with you to school. I think I told you that you would have to wait until the next week since you needed a lunch box and I needed to buy stuff to put in it. You just burst into tears. After you had calmed down, you explained that you needed to take your lunch because the kids who bring their lunch to school get to sit down first and you hated the feeling of walking into the cafeteria with your tray and not knowing who to sit with. I died inside when I found out that you had stood there with that tray and felt alone. That's the hardest thing about being a Mom. Knowing that you have to face those types of things by yourself and that I can't help you. We went and bought your lunchbox and you took your lunch that whole year. But you know what? The next year, you didn't want to anymore. You had made friends and you knew where to sit and who with.

Amanda


You have since managed to control your life at school in a way that makes me so proud. You have learned something that so few girls manage to learn until they are grown up and even then sometimes they don't. You have managed to be your own person and be popular without giving into what everyone else says you have to be. You are secure in the person you are. That alone amazes me.
When you ran for student council last year without asking me for anything more than my permission, I was shocked. And when you won, I was impressed. Impressed that you had been brave enough to give a speech in front of your entire grade, impressed that you were convincing enough during said speech to get their vote and impressed that every one likes you.




burning off some candy

I love that you remember things. You remember where you need to be or what you need to bring. I think you are sucking this out of me :P The more together you become, the more things I forget! You told me a couple of months ago, after my third trip back into the house for something, that I needed a list by the front door of all the things I needed to take with me when I left so I could remember them all. I actually thought about hanging a chalk board there.
Last night, you told me you couldn't wait to be ten, to be into double digits. And that with twelve you would finally be a pre-teen and then with thirteen you would be a teenager and then with fourteen, "a professional teenager."

Silly Face

I looked at you this morning when you came and hugged me before I left for work and I don't see this little girl any more. I see this person. This person who is deciding who she is going to be. This child who is up to my shoulders and who looks me in the eye when she talks to me. This person who is smart and brave and sometimes bossy :) I see a great big sister who loves and defends her little sisters, even from me.

my girls




You have such a big heart and if you still want to be a veterinarian when you are older, I think you would make such a good one because you just have so much love inside of you that wants to come out.

I braced myself over the last few years while waiting for the Teenager gene to come out and bite me, and everytime you get a little older, I wait for it... I am glad it isn't here yet because I am not ready to part with the Amanda that comes up to me and hugs me for no reason.
My favorite of our conversations right now goes just like this:
"Mommy, I love you."
"I love you too."
"I love you more."
I love that you still come and tell me you love me just because you do.

Amanda's 2005 school picture


We are at the halfway point right now. You are halfway to being a grown up. To being able to vote and leave home and make your own decisions with out asking anyone for permission and that scares me. The fact that the first nine years of your life have flown by so fast, as I am sure the next nine will, is so scary. But you are an awesome daughter. You are so cool and so sweet. And I loved every minute of the first nine years.

Amanda


Thank you so much for changing my life, for coming into mine and letting me be your mom. Thank you for sharing your life with me and being such a huge part of mine.
~Mom





so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 8:20 PM
| link to this post | 12 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer