Wednesday, December 28, 2005
Almost 2006
Wow. It's almost over, this whole year has just passed by so quickly. It seems like the older I get, the faster time passes.
This year was huge for me. I think I have learned a lot. I had intended to sit down and type out a list of things that had happened, I wanted to link back to all of the forming events and recap and summarize what all 2005 held for me and my family.
But, as I sit here now, only one thing stands out.
I lost my best friend this year.
I have never been through anything that was even remotely comparable to the pain I have experienced this year. When I became a mom, I felt true happiness. When I lost Veronique, I felt the exact opposite, a completely broken heart.
This changed, so much, the way I feel, the way I react, the way I look at my world. Things I took for granted before; I try not to, things I have put off; I am trying to accomplish, people who I care about; I am trying to make sure that they know.
Everything that was jumbled on my list has jumped into its proper place in my perspective. In short, I grew up again.
I can count the times that something life changing has happened for me. I can remember specifically the first time my innocence was shattered when I was a child, watching my father choke my mother when she was pregnant with my sister and knowing that I had to make him stop or he would kill her. I can remember the first time I realized I was the only person who would take care of me, when I was fourteen and moved out. I remember the first time I felt true and complete love, when I held Amanda for the first time and looked at my daughter. That event, coincidentally was the first time I felt really scared realizing it was now my responsiblity to make sure that she was happy and healthy and loved. When AZ and I split up, I had to become independant. Totally alone with my girls and I had to do it.
There have been other times, other things, that have help mold me into the person I am now. But, this year, I became jaded. I had always believed that you got what you put out. If you wanted something, you earned it. I have always believed in Karma and Balance. If something bad happened to me, I chalked it up to something bad I had done. I wasn't pissed off, I figured that The Universe was just keeping things in check.

And then The Universe took Veronique. She was this perfectly wonderful soul. This person who would do anything for anyone. She was the very definition of good.
My whole "what goes around, comes around" attitude was suddenly wrong.
Now, I still believe in fair and Balance and Karma. I don't plan on changing the way that I behave because she is gone because she would never want that. But, I did step back and take count of what is in front of me. And I have changed this year. Any remaining naivete has vanished. Even looking at the happiest of things, I still feel a little pain of sad. When something wonderous happens in my life, I can't call her and tell her about it any more. And that breaks my heart.
Everyone says that it goes away. That the ache fades to fondness and rather than feel that stab to my heart when I think of her, I will one day smile and know that she would be happy with me if she was here. I am skeptical that I will ever not feel the twist in my stomach. And I am sad that I won't get to share all of the things I wanted to share with her. I miss her. I have missed her all year and I have just been trying to adjust.
Last year, at the end of December, I did my list of resolutions. This year, I am not resolving to do anything for the very first time. This year, I am placing no requests nor expectations on my plate. I am going to just live and just be happy. I am going to be a Mother, a Friend, a Sister and a Daughter with the best of my abilities. She would have wanted that.

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 7:17 AM
| link to this post | 7 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer