Friday, May 18, 2007
Dear Emilee,
Today, you turn nine years old. I can't believe that nine whole years ago I was laying in a hospital room waiting for you to arrive. That nine years ago, you were this little tiny bright red baby with pitch black hair.
This morning, before I woke you up, I sat for a few minutes and just watched you sleep. No longer a small baby that I can pick up and hold in my arms, you have grown into a stunning girl. Blonde and blue eyed with an easy smile.
Picture 162
You've always had this *thing* about you. This happiness and light way in the world. You have always been caring and giving and genuine. With that in mind, I was afraid of your eighth year after seeing how your older sister took to hers. There is much talk when you are a mother of "Terrible Twos" and your child is supposed to become a holy terror at the age of two. I thought this was a myth as Amanda left her twos behind without incident. But then, there was three. And let me tell you girly, three was a pain. Three was the age that made me question just how much I wanted to keep you and your sisters. Three was tantrums and pushing limits and the real introduction of the word "NO!" for both mother and child. Three was hard.
But three was only hard until I met Eight. Two years ago, Amanda turned eight. I didn't consider it to be a major age. Wouldn't be much different that seven had been. And I was horribly wrong in that assumption. Horribly. Eight was, what I can only assume, your Sneak Peak at The Dreaded Teenage Years. I couldn't believe the changes that Amanda went through, not only physically but emotionally. Body and mind were a projected roller coaster to all around her. Her ninth birthday was a gift for us all as she got a few inches taller and shed a few pounds of her "chubby" and it seemed, got a little control over her emotions.
Emilee & Amanda
But I never thought that you would undergo the same transformation upon turning eight. You and your sister have always been so incredibly different that I rarely assume you will experience or react to things in the same way. However, The Universe apparently inflicts pre-pubescence on all little girls similarly and equally. Just as your sister turned nine and started to slim down and mellow out, you picked up her discarded weight and emotions and piled them on high. Your personality is much different from Amanda's, possibly more patient and tolerant and a little more stable, so you weren't completely unbearable this year but you were, in many ways, the B version of your sister's eighth year.
You discovered, buried within you somewhere, your Cattiness. One of the most common among the young girl traits. It's meaning: deliberately hurtful in one's remarks; spiteful.
Yup, Catty I believe is a synonym for Young Girl.
Em
It can't be helped. I have long learned that Nature will be what it is and that all of these things are phases. But the bickering between all of my girls this year was so overwhelming. And as I mentioned before, my Sneak Peak at The Dreaded Teenage Years.
But here's the thing Em - it's all part of growing up. And you, my darling little girl, are indeed growing up. And all this years woes aside, you are making excellent decisions while walking down this road.

Over the last nine years, you have grown in many ways. Every year has brought with it these new ideas for you and you always explore them. You are fearless and confident. You participate in everything and try everything and usually love everything. A few years ago you decided you wanted to be a Chef when you grew up but rather than continue to be interested in cooking, you've drifted off and now seem interested in so many things that when I wonder what you are actually going to be when you grow up, I can't even begin to guess.
Emilee & Chica
But I can tell you that you will be busy and happy. You have inherited this from me. This inability to be still and this constant pursuit of happiness. If someone throws an activity at you, you catch it. This year alone has been UIL, Student Council, Choir, Softball, Advanced Reading, The Talent Show... and I'm sure more that I just can't even think of right now. And you did all of this without prompting while maintaining a straight A average at school. I'm impressed. And I'm so very very proud.
Emilee at the spelling UIL meet
Here's the thing kiddo. I know that you and I are going to butt heads. I know you are going to experience things as you grow up that are going to make the relationship that you and I have difficult at times. But I also know that you are going to come through all of that and still be this awesome and amazing girl that I am so very proud of every day.
DSC05168
Happy birthday Blondie!
Love,
Mommy

Labels: , ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 8:10 AM
| link to this post | 1 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer