Saturday, June 13, 2009
recycled bad-ass thing of the day: Hair Care
Look, let me be straight with ya'll for a minute here.
No body messes with my hair.
No. Body.
The second I even consider getting rid of my very eco-un-friendly VO5 curling mousse?

*shudder*
Does that mean that I will never change to something a little less environmentally toxic than chemicals with aerosol in a can?
Not at all.
But experimenting with my hair was something I did all through out the nineties which was truly a horrible hair decade for me. One in which I walked around with half a bottle of mousse in hair that could have, for all intents and purposes, repelled bullets from a gun.
Here's the thing... when you have VERY curly hair and your parental figure does not, you need to get yourself some friends who do. Otherwise you will be twelve or thirteen years old and have no freaking idea how to make your hair NOT stand up with static and you may or may not get the idea to chop your hair off to make bangs. And you might do it when your hair is wet and measure it wet not knowing that ONE- when it dries it is going to be shorter and TWO- because it's curly it's going to be MUCH shorter. And then you end up with bangs that stick straight up in the air. And NO ONE WANTS THOSE BANGS.

Think I'm being dramatic?
Observe.
This is me before I knew I had curly hair... you know, when I used to brush it dry and just accept that I was doomed to have frizzy GOD AWFUL hair for the rest of my life. You can tell I've accepted it because this is PICTURE DAY and that's how I look.
frizz

And this is me in high school, after the discovery of mousse. Still not fabulous, but no longer looking homeless either.
Me: 15

I can't go back to the old hair while I try out new and EXPENSIVE products that probably won't even work on my hair type. Which is "impossible" in case you were wondering. When I try out a new hair product, I almost always do it on a weekend where I don't need to be out in public. And it almost never works and then I end up with a bottle of stuff I've gotta give away to someone with more forgiving hair.

So when I got to the part of Sleeping Naked is Green (yes, I put the Twilight series down for a few minutes...) where she gave up her shampoo and conditioner for vinegar, it made me cringe a little because I know when I wash my hair with my Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine that it is bad. I know the chemicals are bad that I am sending down the drain, I know that there is some chemical in there that isn't even good for my hair and I'm pretty sure they test on animals.
It's bad, bad stuff. That makes my hair so very pretty.
Every time I get close to the end of a bottle, I think I am going to try something new but then time gets in the way and I run out and I don't have time to properly choose a new hair care line...
But while I'm over here trying to decide if Earth Friendly and Organic can beat out Really Super Cute Hair, there is no reason I can't pass along to ya'll the link to a decent and not too expensive site for good for your hair and good for the environment products...
And if you are feeling like going cold turkey today on your hair care carbon footprint, check out this post on Green As A Thistle for all natural and allegedly good "shampoo" that you can make at home. Apparently all you need is organic baking soda, organic vinegar, cinnamon, vanilla and a well rinsed old shampoo bottle.
If you try it, let me know... I'm curious...

Labels:

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 8:40 AM
| link to this post | 0 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer