Wednesday, March 16, 2005
History Lesson #1 (part four)
Back to Houston. Back to Granny... only this time, it wasn't just Granny. It was Granny and her son, otherwise known as AZ's dad. Ahhhh, the beloved father recently released from prison... to name his crime... er, crimes that is. Well, we can start with extensive child abuse to all three of his children. If they didn't behave like the perfect slaves [think: laying out daddy's clothes, running his baths, feeding him, all chores, etc] then he literally beat the holy fucking shit out of them. Had nearly killed AZ more than once including but not limited to spraying him with a can of hairspray he had lit on fire and burning all of the skin from his legs. Then there was that nice little bit about having sexually molested his own daughter.
You can imagine my comfort level going into this house. We were there for about four months. AZ and daddy reconnected on many levels including their love of Metallica at all hours of the night in decibels close to that of jet engines, their love of drinking until they both passed out, their love of belittlement to both Granny and myself. I have no idea where I was mentally at this point in time to have stayed, but I did... until New Year's Eve of 1997.
I remember that day so clearly because everything changed for me. I had asked AZ for twenty dollars that afternoon for formula and diapers for Amanda. He gave it to me, his last twenty. Then he went into the other room with his father and disappeared for about eight hours. I was asleep with Amanda next to me when he came in and demanded the money back. I told him no and rolled back over. He again demanded, I again refused. He was incredibly intoxicated. He sat down on the bed and sat me up and made it very clear that he needed that money and now to which I made it very clear that his daughter needed it far more than he did.
The twenty was in my pocket, but he didn't know that. Physically, he could have taken it in five seconds but I wouldn't tell him where it was. When he hit me, I never even saw it coming. He hadn't ever hit me before. He hit me two or three times, by the second I had my arm up and was blocking his repeated punches. Then he stopped. He stood up in front of me and told me to stop crying. I kicked him in the balls harder than I have ever kicked anyone in my life--twice. He fell to the floor. I got up and started to push him out of the room while he was lying on the floor. I kept thinking that if I could just get him out, I could lock the door and I would be safe. But, at the last second, as I was closing the door, he regained his composure and was on my faster than I could comprehend. He threw me onto the bed, knelt on top of me and started to choke me.
I don't remember being scared of being choked, I just remembered that Amanda was under me and I was having to push my body up to keep from hurting her. I don't know how long this went on, but suddenly his grandmother appeared with a baseball bat and chased him from the house. His father slept through the entire thing. It was a little after midnight (Happy New Year) when I called my mom and asked her to fly me home. I talked to her for a very long time and before I hung up, he had come home... He was of course as apologetic as he could be, but I didn't care. Fuck him, he had hurt me. I was leaving, I told him as much. He slapped me, slapped me so hard you could see every single one of his fingers bruised into my skin. I was on a plane at 7:30 the next morning.
I would love, right now, to tell you that was the last time I saw him. I would love to tell you that I wasn't stupid enough to take him back again. I can't though, because I did take him back. As your typical statistic setter would, I took him back less than a month later. Emilee was born three months later and he swore she wasn't his. Whatever. I had no hope by then. My life was shit, it would always be shit. He was shit and I was a fucking idiot for allowing myself to love this man. When he said we should move back to Phoenix, I went because I didn't care where we lived. When he started doing drugs again, I didn't care because I was merely existing. When he hit me again, I wasn't surprised. When he burned all of his bridges again, I packed all of our things and we came to live with my mother. To be honest with you, readers, I don't think I had it in me to leave him. I don't think I could have. I had become so dependent on him that if the cards hadn't fell the way that they did, I would probably have spent many more years with him in that hell.
But, the cards fell. He made the idiotic mistake of taking a car for a test drive and not returning it. He had to leave town to avoid being arrested and for the first time, I was alone. For the first time I was faced with the reality of supporting both of my daughters with out help. Oh god, I was scared. Scared beyond belief. But, I did it. I got three jobs. I got some self esteem. I got my fucking shit together and realized that not only could I raise my kids, but I could do it better with out him. However, I was still living with my alcoholic mother and I had to find a way out... That's for lesson #2 though...
~Kate

Labels:

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 12:01 AM
| link to this post | 1 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer