Sunday, September 25, 2005
Careful what you wish for...
So, yeah, went to the party. Got there right before it got dark and sat down out side with all the other people near the fire... well, not really near the fire since it was like two hundred degrees out yesterday, but in the chairs set off to the side of the fire. There were a ton of people there, most of whom know me in some way or another but who's names I couldn't remember to save my life. You see, dear reader, when your mother has tended bar in every establishment in this county, you meet a lot of people and they remember you as so-and-so's daughter and you vaguely remember them as one of those people you met in a bar that one time.
As I made my way around the circle of introductions and immediately forgot all of their names again, someone handed me a beer and we were off. Everyone is telling stories and jokes and some one has a electronic trivia game and is asking questions to whoever might be interested in playing. (I was the only one who knew that the Titanic had only sank two and a half miles as opposed to the five that everyone else guessed. And I was the only one who knew that the most watched Worldwide sport was soccer. Baseball? Come on people! Worldwide. "You're good at this Kate! Let me get you another beer." Translation: "I was kicking everyone's ass before you got here, let's see if I can get your drunk and take back the lead.")

People were coming and wandering off. Let me clarify here that this party takes place on about ten acres. It starts on Friday and many of the attendees camp out for the weekend. There are dozens of tents set up around the property. In the whole time I was there, I probably only saw half of the people there. When I wandered off into the woods to go say hi to someone camped out back there, I was at the mercy of my guide since I couldn't have found my own ass out there. It's dark and my sense of direction is shit. (Plus, I watched Super Natural yesterday, the one with the thing in the woods and was a little warey to walk anywhere that there were trees.) But, I am getting ahead of myself.
So, I am sitting in the circle altering my reality, chatting it up with people I know and people I don't know. Lucky for me, I am not shy so I can pretty much talk to anyone (gee, Kate, are you in sales?? lol). I am talking to this young girl who has brought her two very small children (the boy was five months old and the girl was almost two - been there, done that) and is trying her hardest to keep her little family under control. Since I have been in that boat before, we hit it off. She let me hold her son who was the epitome of fucking adorable. I have seen many babies and held almost as many. I have three daughters who were all babies and friends with babies. There was something about this little boy that supersedes every other child I have seen. She smiled when she asked, "would you mind holding this little soul?" Little Soul. That's what he felt like. Not like a baby, like a little blazing soul. Just watching her hold him and I couldn't stop smiling (long before I was at the point of being messed up tyvm). He just radiated this happiness. I can't explain it and I am sure I sound insane, but he just made you happy. When she let me hold him, he just sat there, holding eye contact and talked to me. All of it in the most adorable baby gibberish you can think of. But he looked right into your eyes the whole time. Then he leaned forward and put both of his hands on my cheeks and just looked into my eyes. God. I didn't want to give him back.
Anyway, she took both her babies up to the house to get them settled in and then I got exactly what I had previously insinuated that I was looking for. As it turns out, one of the few single guys any where near my age seated himself right next to me almost the whole night. I had met him a few years ago and this guy is so far from my type that he may as well be female. But he is nice enough, so I didn't mind chatting with him. Some how though, we ended up being three to four chairs away from everyone else and by then, I was just ever so slightly -ahem- not my self. So, I am sitting there trying to stay in the loop of the conversation that is going on about ten feet away from me and also contemplating about how much time I have left before peeing has moved to the top of my priority list when he starts.

Oh, sure, it started off all innocent "how have you been? Where are you working? How are the girls?" blah blah blah... Then, he turned into a chic. Oh my god, I am so not fucking kidding here. Now, ladies, you know as well as I do that if you insist on sitting down with another chic and bitching about your ex that there are rules. I like to think of it like ping pong. You bitch a little, then they bitch a little. Back and forth, bouncing the ball from your side of the table to theirs. Now, had he actually let me talk at all in the hour he held me hostage, I may have been a little more interested in the conversation. Instead, he talked, for an hour straight, barely allowing me to comment at all. All about his ex, all about their relationship, all about how it ended, all about every time he had seen her since. I. thought. I. was. going. to. die. And I am too far out of the circle to get involved in another conversation so I am just waiting it out, like an infection. Plus, by now, I am fully altered. So, my reflexes have slowed down and I couldn't pull up a way in my brain to properly excuse myself from the conversation. I still had more than half of my beer so I couldn't get up and get another and peeing was sitting above breathing on my priority list, but he wasn't giving me a break in which to excuse myself. It was so bad that at one point he apologized for talking about his ex non stop and then he started right back up again with just one more thing. Are you fucking kidding me?
Finally, I escaped. I lost over an hour of my life, but I survived. You know in that movie The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy? When the big huge alien thing is reading poetry to the captives and the one guy is squirming and practically crying from the torture? Yeah, that was me, last night. The next time I wish for some young, single guy's attention, I am going to be WAAAY more specific.

Anyway, the hours passed and the conversations changed and flowed. I found out that I knew pretty much everyone there through someone else. Before I knew it, I was back to normal and had traded my beer for water and it was very late. I found my hostess and told her I was leaving and that I had a great time (which was true except for that one hour). Got the girls and came home and put them to bed. Then, I went to bed too.
And boy howdy did I have some fucked up dreams. Cherish wrote a post the other day about her dream and it started like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz... that was how I felt this morning. I can barely remember it though... Just bits and peices. I do remember that Hot Toddy and I were talking, like old friends (which is exactly how I feel about Toddy) and then he leaned down to kiss me like a goodbye kiss. But it wasn't a goodbye kiss at all. And let me tell you, Toddy, in my dreams, you can kiss my dear. And if it had been real, I would have been questioning your sexuality :P
There were other people there. I read a couple of blogs last night before I went to bed and almost wrote in mine... so maybe that is why... Or maybe it was the... well, either way.
So, that was it. At least I got out but I wish I had something more juicy for ya'll :) On the plus side, I really hit it off with that chic and I am hoping that she and I can become friends.
Ok, I am going to go stick a straw in the coffee pot and start cleaning. Hope everyone else's Saturday night was slightly more exciting :)
so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 7:52 AM
| link to this post | 3 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer