Monday, September 11, 2006
"The politics of play dates as an issue in therapy."
I am reading this fantastic book right now and I have to admit it is the reason I haven't been online much.
In the entire time I have been a mother, I have had very few moments of serious self doubt in myself and my ability to be a kick ass mom. This is partly because the bar was set so low in my own childhood and I can't help but try to over compensate for the lack of happiness I grew up with... but it is mostly because I love being a mom. I love it with every fiber of my being, every inch of my soul is made lighter by simply looking at one of my children.
But in the last few months, Amanda has started to change. She has stopped being this really happy kid that I am used to having around and has turned into an almost unhappy kid.
And I have no idea why.
And this has never happened before.
When I talk to other moms about this, they just give me this "oh you thought you weren't going to go through this fucked up thing called 'teenager' didn't ya?" Because apparently, we mothers as a whole, have given up on our kids once their hormones kick in. We've abandoned any thoughts that this is something that doesn't have to be awful and readied ourselves to succumb to their moods and just kiss normalcy goodbye. Even before they are close to that age, we've thrown in the towel I have even done it. I have rolled my eyes and said, "I have no idea what I am going to do when they become teens!"
Why?
Because all the mothers I have ever known have left me with the belief that I am fucked. There is no cure for Teenager, there is no hope in avoiding it. Your child will go through puberty and GOD HELP YOU when that happens.
You basically just need to buckle up and hold on like your life depends on it.
Everything about this miserable, bitchy, sneaky little shit head that used to be your kid is going to try your sanity and your belief that you ever had an adorable sweet angel that held your hand when you crossed a road because you made them feel safe.
With that in mind, I look at Amanda, who isn't even ten years old yet, and I want to burst into tears. I want to grab her and hold her to me and beg her not to grow up. PLEASE just stay this little person I love. I want to fix this all before it is broken. And I have no fucking idea how to or who to ask for help. No one seems to believe that there is even a cure, that there is even a glimmer of hope of a cure. We have all just accepted this state of fuckedness as the norm.
So, this weekend, while I was at The Cake Lady's house sitting in the grass at some insane late hour, I drained my glass of wine and decided I had to admit that I had fallen into some foreign place and needed some help, any help. And then, this woman I respect more than any other mother I know gave me that look.
She gave me the "you're fucked" look.
And I wanted to just cry.
Because she can't believe it too! She can't possibly believe that there is no hope for puberty! I refuse to believe that. I refuse to believe that she is one of those women who is going to throw in the towel. Not her. Not her and not me!
So we are sitting there discussing the intricacies of motherhood and the possible solutions for how we are going to survive the next ten years and fondly reminiscing about the "good old days" when diapers and wall socket covers were the hardest part of being a mom.
Fuck, give me a screaming infant at three in the morning any day over that look Amanda has had on her face for the last week.
Then The Cake Lady got up and went into the house and came out with a book.

Perfect Madness: Motherhood in the Age of Anxiety by Judith Warner.

From the back cover: This book is an exploration of a feeling. That caught-by-the-throat feeling so many mothers have today of always doing something wrong. And it's about a conviction I have that this feeling --this widespread, choking cocktail of guilt and anxiety and resentment and regret -- is poisoning motherhood for American women today. Lowering our horizons and limiting our minds. Sapping energy that we should have for ourselves and our children. And drowning out thoughts that might lead us, collectively, to formulate solutions.
The feeling has many faces, but it doesn't really have a name. It's not depression. It's not oppression. It's a mix of things, a kind of too-muchness. And existential discomfort. A mess.


And my mouth is just hanging open.
You mean, they have BOOKS for this????
Shut. The. Fuck. Up.

So needless to say, I have been rather engulfed in reading this book.
And it has been a nice way to spend my time.

Another excerpt:
The women around me, for the most part, lived in affluent suburban Washington communities. They had comfortable homes, two or three children, smiling, productive husbands, and a society around them saying they'd made the best possible choices for their lives, yet many of them seemed just miserable. One woman told me she'd lost all interest in sex with her husband... Another mom complained of spending her weekends in her car shuttling between soccer and swim meets and birthday parties. And another had taken up the politics of play dates as an issue in therapy."

The politics of play dates as an issue in therapy.
Oh man.
But this is all so true.
But the thing I love about this book is how it seems to be trying to quash these feelings of inadequacy that we all walk around with at some point in our experience as parents, as mothers. And since I am so very new to this feeling, I am so glad to see that I am not the only who wants to fight it and who thinks it is a fight I could win.
So, dear reader, bear with me this week while I read this book and try to find some sanity in this new crazy turn in my motherhood.
so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 8:11 PM
| link to this post | 5 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer