Sunday, November 19, 2006
My dearest Amanda,
Today, you turn ten years old.
Ten.
That is unbelievable to me. Unreal. For it seems only moments ago that you were but a little tiny baby that I held in my arms. A bald little thing that would smile excitedly and drool down the front of your gown. You gurgled and cooed and took everything in with your big blue eyes.

When you were five months old, one of your favorite pastimes was having me fill up your baby bath and sit you in it in the living room. It was just you and I then and I would lay towels on the floor and play with you and soap up your tiny feet while you splashed and watched me. I remember you then, with your small hands balled into fists as you tensed your body up and kicked your legs and laughed. We would often have to refill the water several times so that you could stay in longer.
Amanda waiting for her burger

Inevitably, you have grown so much since then. You have turned into this lovely girl. This girl who is on the very cusp of turning into a young woman. My baby is taking her first steps again, but this time towards womanhood and self discovery.
This year was hard for you. Being seperated from your best friend for the first time, losing your support system in school, that person who is always there with you, never making you go through anything alone. You hated school. You hated being alone, with out Camille. But, you pushed yourself through it and discovered that you can do it alone. I don't think you realize it yet, but that is a huge thing baby. That is a big important step and something you are going to use and need as an adult. And it is just one more thing I've seen you do that has made you grow a little more.
Emilee & Amanda

I have no delusions about how quickly you are growing up. I have seen the past ten years fly by and I know that before I even realize it, you will be eighteen and off to make your mark on the world and I know that you will make me so very proud. I know this because I am watching so closely how you are growing and changing. You ask me such important questions now about things like bills and grocery shopping and driving, things that I know you are filing away to be used later. Half of the time I want to give you all the answers and help you ready yourself for life, for being on your own... but the other half of the time I want to tell you to wait. Tell you that you don't need to worry about that stuff yet, that there is plenty of time to drown out your innocence later, when you are older. But there is really no stopping it huh? You are going to grow up and you'll need all of this knowledge and it is my job to give it to you. It's just hard for me to begin to let you make your own decisions and step aside.
Amanda on the seashell
When you do something like walk up and ask me if you can have a small cup of coffee with me. On the one hand, I think you're just a child, you don't need any coffee yet but on the other hand, I think how are you ever going to know if you like it or not? And don't I want to be there for your firsts? Don't I want to see your face the first time you have coffee or cranberry juice or jalapenos?

Gone already are the days when you want me to fix your hair or choose what you will wear. Gone is the need to be with me all the time, replaced by the want to go over to a friend's house. Already you are picking up skills that you will need as an adult, like preparing your own food. You so very nonchalantly ask me for something to eat and once I agree, you shrug and say, "That's all right Mom, I'll do it." So very blasé. Not giving away a single bit of excitement over the fact that I am about to let you use the stove as I watch you from the table.

You are embracing the fact that you are growing up, taking every little step seriously and although I often think it is happening too fast, I don't think you are rushing through it. I think you are taking every step just as you should, carefully and perfectly.
goofing off

Can I remember being your age? So very faintly. Ten was a blur of changes for me. It was the year I left my best friend in Dallas and moved to Hawaii, the year we slept in tents on the beach for three months while my parents tried to find a house for us, the year I changed schools for the sixth time. But the thing I remember most clearly: it was the last year I really remember playing. Real playing. Running off with my brother and playing. That faded soon thereafter and I think with it, childhood. You and I have so very different lives and very different childhoods. I have done everything I can to make sure that your childhood far surpasses my own and now as I watch your childhood coming to an end, I hope I have succeeded.
head in the clouds
I know that in the next few years, you will shed the child and instead step into the skin of a young adult, a person who is deciding who they are and who they want to be. You'll change your mind many times as you learn new things and grow, but the first little adult you have in you is starting to show herself in the form of choosing and learning and asking. And I can only hope that the honesty that you have right now about your feelings and your thoughts stays with you and I.
When I look at you now, I don't see this little kid any more. I see this young girl. This girl who is discovering the kind of person she wants to be, a girl who isn't afraid to tell someone what she thinks or to stand up for her sisters, I see this girl who is still unsure of exactly who she is but isn't afraid to find out. I see this beautiful, intelligent, friendly, honest girl that I am so proud, every day, to say is my daughter.
She looks so big here.

Happy birthday baby.
Love,
Mom
so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 9:19 AM
| link to this post | 4 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer