Thursday, February 17, 2005
Is my 'Picker' broken?
History: Probably the better part of a year ago, Tempest and I were talking about my really shitty luck with the male species. I was kind of defending my ever crumbling position when she told me "Kate, I think your Picker is broken"... The Picker she is referring to is the one I use to hone in on and choose a man with. Well how in the hell can I argue that?
I have had two actual relationships in my life. The first one (ex#1) with Amanda and Emilee's father was a tremendous failure... But, I was young and stupid and head over heels in love with the idiot... so we'll chalk it up to naivete. After five years (a long story I will save for another post), we finally parted ways. I haven't laid eyes on him since.
The second relationship was another horrendous mistake. The only good things that came from that 3 year nightmare were Triniti and experience. I learned a lot about myself and about relationships. I learned that I don't need a man to survive or even be happy. I learned that tolerance only gets you so far and that you can't believe everything your told. Most importantly, I learned that I deserve SO much more.
Since then? Well, I have 'dated' a few men worth mentioning. I journal, so I quick glance through some old journals took me back. One in particular was an interesting situation. I had a crush on this guy who we'll call 'M'. I met M many years ago and was enamored. Goodness gracious this was one hot guy (so what? I can be superficial. Sue me.). I'm talking I had dreams about him for two years before I saw him again. This was the first and only time I have ever considered a man to be out of my league. EVER. After ex#2 and I split, I started a friendship with M never expecting more than that and to be honest I was happy to have some friendly eye candy :) The thing I am getting at is that M and I eventually entered a stage that was more than friendship and I ran, fast. He is telling me everything I thought I wanted to hear and I am bolting.
In retrospect, I know that he and I wouldn't have worked. But, why is it that I am attracted to guys that I can't have and when they want me, I bail? Or worse, the ones that I want are bad for me. It is like some kind of downward spiral of self sacrifice. Yeah, here's my heart... Oh, you don't want it? That's ok, take it anyway and squash it.
Mr. I is a perfect example of this particular dating trend. Tempest told me flat out, two weeks in, that the only reason I wanted him was because I couldn't have him. And if he were to want me, I would be gone in a blink of an eye. Well, if the past if proof, she is right. Some little neuron in my brain is set to 'flee mode' as soon as anything serious is presented.
I'd like to think that it is gut reaction or that I just know that it isn't what I really want or that it wouldn't work out. Of course, that brings up questions like: Why am I dating them in the first place? Am I setting myself up for failure? Do I not really want anything serious anyway?
Oh, I wish it was the last one. My dating life would be so much less complex if I could grasp and accept the no strings situations. If I could cut myself off emotionally and enjoy a physical/friendship type relationship without them wanting more...
I still stick by my idea that being part of a couple is something that society ingrains into your head. Making you feel like you aren't a whole person unless you are two people. We can't help longing for another human who loves us and we love in return because we're supposed to.
I have no idea where I am going with this, but I would love to hear your POV on it...

~Kate
utterly and hopelessly confused



Labels: ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 1:52 PM
| link to this post | 5 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer