Wednesday, March 16, 2005
History Lesson #1 (part three)
AZ got drunk several nights in a row... then he disappeared for several days in a row... then we couldn't pay rent two months in a row... then the people in charge said we had thirty days to vacate the premises. AZ said we would move again.. to Arizona (hence the name) where his brother could get him a job paying a helluva lot more then what he could make in Texas. Just had to dump me off near San Antonio while he went up there and got us a place. Sure, I said. I'll go live with my mother and her boyfriend who hates me. I'll go be seven months pregnant alone. Sure. And I did.
The majority of my third trimester was spent with my mother hiding me from the world and waiting for me to leave. In her defense, she wanted me to stay but could do nothing to help me. So off I went on a bus to Phoenix. Eight and a half months pregnant and on the Greyhound bus to my future. To the man who knocked me up and claimed to love me. To the man who had blown every cent he had made in the almost two months he had been in Phoenix on drugs of the powdered variety.
We lived with his brother and sister in law and two kids for a month and a half. I gave birth to Amanda at a hospital ten miles from their home with no one there but AZ. I won't bore you with the details of my labor except for to say that it was several days long and the very definition of how to scare your kids away from sex. But then, there she was. This tiny little baby. Do you know I had never seen a baby before? I mean, I thought I had but now I realize that all of those babies were well over a year old. And there I sat on a hospital bed holding my daughter. This tiny creature is trying so hard to open her eyes and see her world for the first time. The world that I have given her. You hear people say it all of the time and doubt the validity of their statement, but my entire world changed then. I changed. I stopped being sixteen and became Amanda's Mom. Whatever I thought I felt for AZ was suddenly muted by a love for my daughter that was far more resounding. She was it for me and I had to make things better. But how?
I thought that he had to have been feeling what I was feeling. He had to be going through this emotional change and trying to rearrange his ideas as well. I thought he was going to want to be the best just as I wanted to. I thought wrong. He loved Amanda, I know that he did. Just as I know he loved me. But, for all of the love he had, he couldn't kick that powder habit. Nor could he overcome the guilt he was feeling for his best friend's death. (Having recently lost Veronique, I am now more able to understand that.)
AZ dreamed big, he wanted big, but he couldn't seem to get big. The fact that he was still little was causing him to doubt all that he was and all that he could be.
AZ drank, a lot. Then he combated it by snorting, a lot. Eventually the powder he so loved became something he smoked, a lot. Thus forming the crack habit he still has to this day. We stayed in Phoenix until we couldn't make the bills and he had burned all of his bridges. Then we jumped on another bus and came back to Texas. We went back to the coast and got ourselves another trailer. AZ got a job at a local restaurant and before I knew it, he was disappearing again. Once he was gone for so long that I filed a missing person's report on him. As it turned out he had landed himself in jail the next town over.
AZ could lie and that is exactly what he did to me for the next few years. It started there, on the coast. Lies about everything. Why he was late, why he had disappeared, why we were broke. I believed him, or wanted to. I was ready to leave. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I wasn't happy. My daughter was eight months old and I had nothing even remotely close to stability. But, even as the very thought of leaving was entering my mind, I was pregnant again! How fucking unfair that was! We had literally had sex like one time in MONTHS and that had only been because it was his birthday! Of course I was pregnant. Of course I was trapped again. Of course he was promising me the moon. Of course we moved again.

continued...

Labels:

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 1:59 AM
| link to this post | 0 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer