Saturday, July 23, 2005
the conclusion
Checking up on me? lol, First I want to just say thank you all for your emails and your concern and your well wishes... but most importantly, thank you for your patience as I know that many of you were pissed off at me for taking so long to finish writing this. (Again, if you are just joining us, this is in follow up to these previous entries: one, two, three, four, five) Now, without further ado...


When I was thirteen, my mother bought a guitar. The extent of my musical talents was learning to play "In The Jungle" on my trusty recorder. I have never, in my life, had any musical inclinations so I really didn't care. My mother was excited about this guitar, I remember her telling us about it and saying that the woman she would be buying it from would stop by that night to drop it off. I also remember her saying that this woman needed the money because she was very pregnant and broke. That evening, my mother made a ton of food for dinner, clearly planning to feed more than just us. She straightened up the house and sent us all off to do our homework for school. This was totally laughable since the school system in Na'alehu was a joke and homework was practically nonexistent. But the three of us went downstairs anyway and goofed off while mom worked upstairs because she told us to. An hour or so later, our dog started barking and we knew that she was there.


I have to admit that yesterday I was dying for it to be eight o'clock as soon as humanly possible. I felt like I was sitting on the winning lotto numbers and damnit I wanted to tell somebody! As the entire week had been busy, Friday was no exception. I probably checked my clock a hundred times but to it's credit, the day went by fairly quickly. I left work at five and headed to my daycare to pick up my girls. Home, dinner, baths, pajamas, teeth, movie.
After I got the girls settled into their room watching Mulan, I jumped in the shower. It was near seven and I had to be out the door by seven thirty to be there even close to eight. I had decided not to call him, I wanted to have this discussion in person so I could see his face when I told him I knew who he was. The nervousness I had been experiencing around him had changed from that stomach-twisting-uncomfortable-in-my-own-skin to straight-out-excited-butterflies. Amazing how simply knowing someone's identity can make your whole outlook change.


Noah and I went to the door to look out and see who was coming. There was a woman, dressed in white and clearly pregnant walking up the hill to our house, a guitar case in her left hand. She was followed by a very small child, a little blonde girl who's name was Samantha. She was only maybe four years old and she was clutching her older brother's hand. Her older brother was someone I had seen around school but didn't really know. He was probably fourteen at the time, a year older than I was.
They walked up the stairs to our porch and we moved to let them in. My mother came down the stairs to say hello and take the woman, Lorraine, upstairs with her. She told us all to go play while the two of them talked. Ruthie and Samantha were immediately friends and ran off to play together in Ruthie's room leaving Noah and I standing there with this young guy leaning against the wall looking most uncomfortable.
Noah was playing with something, a model car I think and this guy walked over and asked Noah a question about it and then we were off. The three of us sat downstairs having conversations about toys and TV and school and friends. We played Mercy, a game which I lost so many times in a row that my hands were killing me. A few hours later, Noah went upstairs to look for something else to show this older kid. Funny how young boys so often love the attention they get from older boys. I think a lot of his adoration was rooted in our father being absent so often and living in a house full of females.
Anyway, this left the two of us alone. We talked for a few minutes about school and how we had seen each other around and neither of us mentioned that we clearly ran in different crowds. In fact, looking back, I can almost assure you that he didn't run in any crowd. He was always alone when I saw him in school. He asked me what my name was and I told him and then laughed and asked him the same thing. Jason...
When Jason and his family left that night my mother called us all into the kitchen to sit down and talk. It seemed that his mother was in a bit of a bind. She was due to have her child in a matter of weeks and she needed help. Mom had offered to let her move in with us until her child was born. This meant Lorraine was going to move into my room, Ruthie and Sam were going to stay in Ruthie and Noah's room. Noah, Jason and I would get air mattresses and start sleeping in the living room on the floor.
Over the next month, the three of us became great friends. Jason and I had our love for books in common and would often be found sitting in the living room, buried deep into whatever story we were reading at the time. One afternoon, he took the book I was reading from me and replaced it with the one he had just finished. I remember griping about it and demanding my book back, but he just smiled at me and told me I had to read this one first. I looked at the cover King Arthur and The Knights Of The Round Table.

next...
so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 12:00 PM
| link to this post | 1 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer