Saturday, January 07, 2006
I'm just a notch in a bed post....
...but your just a line in a blog.

I am coming to grips with the fact that I either (a) have been out of the "dating" loop for too long [read: forever] (b) am far too impatient or (c) just plain suck at this game.
I have never really dated. I met AZ when I was almost fifteen and back then we didn't call it "dating" we called it "partying" and there were no "boyfriends" or "girlfriends" there were "people you made out with at that party."
In fact, AZ and I never went out on an actual date. We "hung out" at his place with our friends and smoked lots of weed and drank when no one had any weed. The only way I even knew he was "into me" was that he drove me home, instead of letting me walk, when I left and eventually worked up the guts to kiss me good night. Which led to more and more led to me getting knocked up.
Yeah, not exactly the great American Romance huh? You guys already know the rest of that story.
So, five years later, I have two kids and a helluva lot more stress than your average nineteen year old. Enter: The World Of Online Dating. Now, Online Dating is significantly different than Real Life Dating. I spent months talking to NY online before he flew out here and we had a weekend away, a month later he has moved here and we are living together. Too much, too fast? Uh, yeah.
Three years off and on with NY and I find myself single, yet again. So, if you do the math, you will see that I have been in the World Of Dating for ten years and eight of those were, more or less, spent in serious relationships... Ok, at least I took them seriously. NY and AZ, not so much. But, I digress.
I have dated in between and since... Of course, that is if you define "dating" as spending awkward evenings making conversation with men with whom it was immediately evident that I had next to nothing in common with. Then yeah, I've done that. And it was fun.
It would be so much easier if guys just had little floating signs over their heads that read things like "incompatible with you" or "gay" or "doesn't like kids" or "serial killer" or "terminally irresponsible" or "loathes monogamy." Then, when a guy asked me for my number, I could just look over their head at the sign and tell them I am not interested.
Ok, so what is the basis for this entire rant? Why the whine?
I am just learning that, on account of my very limited dating experience, I suck at this (so, if you guessed (c), ten points for you!). I don't know The Rules. I mean, lets face it, Dating is really just a big game. It's a lot of hard to get and bizarre timing rituals and old fashioned role playing. And I am none of those things. I don't pretend to be interested in someone I am not, I don't wait to call you if I have something to say and I certainly am not some submissive female who can't ask a guy out.
But for some reason, when it comes to this whole initial step in seeing someone, we as chics are supposed to sit on our hands and wait for the phone to ring because apparently you men have some archaic need to "hunt." Oh, don't look at me like that. You know it's true.
And even having said "hunting" affliction wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for ya'll's god awful sense of time. Do you guys have any idea the amount of books that were written for the female gender on the amount of time it takes a man to call alone?
You don't want to know.
It's like Guy Time is based in California and Girl Time is in fucking Japan. You men are like a day behind.

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 7:28 PM
| link to this post | 10 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer