Monday, May 11, 2009
Installing laminate flooring...
It's no secret that I loathe and abhor carpeting. I think it's nasty, vile, germ-ridden diseased fluff on your floor.
Ok, maybe not your floor.
But on most floors.
I hate it.
When I bought my house a year and a half ago (wow! That went by fast!), I swore that I would tear all of the carpet out of my house and replace it with something less horrid. I decided on laminate. I decided on this laminate from Sam's Club.
Why?
Well because zebra striped bamboo flooring was a little out of my price range. And because I wanted something neutral for when I sell my house in a few years. Oh and because it was inexpensive and something we could install ourselves.
Now I have been talking about this for the better part of the last year and a half so my brother and family were well aware that the day would come when they would all be reduced to slave labor and we'd spend a weekend (or five) tearing the carpet out of the house and laying down new floors. I'd been printing up instructional suggestions and emailing my brother informational sites for months. His response was more or less that he'd mess with it when and if we ever actually did it.
I'm pretty sure he didn't think we ever would.
Last weekend, we did.
The week before I went out and bought enough flooring to do my living room and office area and when I got home, the looks on the faces at my house were surprised for sure. After unloading almost eight hundred pounds of flooring into the house so it could "adjust to the climate of the household," I think everyone believed me.
But just because it was there didn't mean we were going to install it, right?
Wrong.

Last Friday I went out and bought all of the stuff one needs to install laminate flooring.
These things were:
**A laminate flooring install kit.
(This bad boy is completely and totally necessary. It was twenty bucks at Home Depot and totally worth every penny. It has tools specifically made for laminate flooring installation. If you don't have one, don't even think about trying to install this flooring. You will fail. And cry.) **A miter saw.
(You need a blade with fine teeth. I don't know anything about blades, I got a 200 because the dude at home depot said those were REALLY fine teeth. My brother said this worked but burnt a little as it cut and he wouldn't recommend using it. I think that a 90-120 would work. I read that somewhere. I take no responsibility for a 90-120 not working. I don't even know what 90-120 means. Leave me alone.)
**A table saw.
(Same blade situation as above.)
**My brother insists that you have a grinder. And since he did 99.9% of the work, I think you should listen to him. He is now a laminate floor installing god.
**Tape Measure
**Level
**pencil
**square
**Exacto-knife, pliers and pry bar for removal of the carpet
**Knee pads


Once you have acquired all of these things, you will need to recruit some children. Yours will do but if any of their friends want to spend the night, get those children too. And then make sure you have enough pairs of pliers for all of your children. I did.
The reason you want the children is two-fold. The first is to help pack up and move all of the stuff in the rooms that need carpet removal to a temporary space in another room.

Some of them may get cranky.
DSC_0707

But some of them will be happy and willing and cheerful.
DSC_0708


The second is to have little people to help speed along the process of removing the carpet. And if you are unlucky enough to have them, the staples used to hold down the carpet padding. Trust me, this would take a lot longer if you had to remove the 4,821,557 staples used to hold down your carpet padding alone.
A. Lot. Longer.

Here is the floor when we started.
DSC_0709
DSC_0711

Here is my crew all energized and ready as the carpet starts coming up.
DSC_0713
DSC_0714

Still happy and energized.
DSC_0716

Amanda's taking a juice break. Notice that she is wearing her volleyball knee pads. My brother really wished later that he had knee pads.
Really. Wished.
DSC_0719
DSC_0720

Lunch break. You'll notice I've recruited the neighbor-boy.
He didn't last as long as the girls did.
DSC_0723

Please ignore the fact that Amanda is wearing pink polka-dotted socks.
She owned the pry bar. She put that bad boy to good use.
She, single-handedly, pulled all of the tack strips up.
DSC_0725

Which greatly improved her mood.
DSC_0727

The energy level got a little low here.
DSC_0728

You'll notice my brother, The Laminate Flooring Installing God, has awoken and is now surveying the work we women have done and grunting his approval.
And wishing he had went out of town.
DSC_0731
DSC_0732

The kids are tired but almost done.
DSC_0734
DSC_0738

Now once your carpet is out, leave.
Let your brother do the rest of the work and go have a margarita somewhere.
He won't mind.

Or stay and help.
You'll find that the only real help you can be is to hand him new pieces of flooring as you go and help with the math of how many pieces you can lay at a time and getting beers.
And my brother, The Laminate Flooring Installer God, will tell you the beer getting was really the most useful thing I did.


Here is the first line of flooring.
Notice the spacers. These are very important because floating flooring expands and... despands? hehehehe and shrinks with the weather and needs a 1/4 inch between it and the wall on all sides.
DSC_0742

Blades are sharp. Don't stick your hands on them.
DSC_0744

This is Noah, The Laminate Flooring Installer God, looking puzzled.
DSC_0745

Three rows.
DSC_0748

Pick a color Mamma.
DSC_0750

It's dark now.
But it's still Saturday.
We got a bunch of work done for a Saturday.
DSC_0751

Now we're going!
DSC_0753

Now it's about eleven o'clock. We don't care. We want to get the living room part done so we can move the couches that are currently sitting in my kitchen back so we can use the kitchen again.
However, we have neighbors now and using a saw at eleven o'clock at night pisses your neighbors off a tad.
DSC_0754
DSC_0755

We said screw the neighbors and finished the living room by about midnight.
Here's the little slaves helpers playing on the Wii Sunday morning.
Yes, I am painfully aware that I need new couches.
DSC_0756

It started going a little faster once we got out of the big room.
Note - Be SUPER careful not to step on the edges of the flooring while you are installing it. A few times, my brother, The Laminate Flooring Installer God, put his knee on one of the edge pieces and broke it.
DSC_0757

That little corner piece was a pain in the ass.
I think it took like thirty minutes.
It was at this point that Noah, The Laminate Flooring Installer God, said when I put this on the Internet I needed to tell everyone THEY HAD TO HAVE A GRINDER.
DSC_0758

Once we got out of that corner, things sped up.
DSC_0760

It was all, snap, tap, saw, snap, tap, saw, snap, tap, saw.
DSC_0763

I love the fluidity.
DSC_0769

It was at this point that I realized we were getting VERY LOW on flooring and I crossed my fingers that we had enough to finish.
DSC_0771

Uhm, we didn't.
We were about three pieces short.
DSC_0773

Note: If you need another box of flooring at 6:00p on a Sunday from Sam's Club, I would recommend you check your Sam's Club card for Sam's Club's hours of operation. Because they close at 6:00p here. This will save you driving all the way into San Antonio for nothing.

This is my brother's sweaty back installing the final piece of flooring on Monday afternoon. You'll notice that the edges of the flooring are crooked and jagged, this is ok because we will be putting down trim.
DSC_0778

COMPLETE!
DSC_0779

That was fun huh Noah, Laminate Flooring Installer God?
It'll be super easy to do the rest of the house right?
DSC_0780

Then we had to start putting stuff back.
This is the window seat/shelf that my brother built for that wall.
The turtle lives there.
And my cute "If you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough" sign.
DSC_0781

And here are the cast of tools. Noah, The Laminate Flooring Installer God, put his hand in there since it was one of the tools too.
Hardy har.
DSC_0782


And that's it kiddos.
We have a hallway and four bedrooms to do but we aren't in quite as big a hurry for those as we were for the living room and office. If I plan it all out well, we should have them done by the end of the Summer.
You can see the entire set of pictures taken here.

Labels: , , , ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 2:31 AM
| link to this post | 2 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer