Sunday, June 05, 2005
Something I have learned
I have learned that your family isn't necessarily the people you are related to.
When I watched Fairy's son today sitting on the bench next to Trin smiling and laughing, I made a mental note to remember how they looked sitting there together. When I questioned the reason that I was trying to remember that moment, I realized it was because I wanted to be able to look at the two of them in ten years and tell them story of them sitting at the table together smiling and laughing as toddlers. There is no doubt in my mind that I have made a life long friend in Fairy and that she and I will still be hanging out and burning up the phone lines in ten years, in fifteen years, in twenty years. She is now family.
Every year, I drive down to the coast to spend Thanksgiving with
Tempest and her two daughters. Tempest and I have been friends since I was fourteen years old. That is eleven years ago. Eleven years! That's almost half my life. My daughters consider her to be their aunt as her daughters do me. She is family.
Veronique's parents to the airport today it was heart wrenching to tell them goodbye. It took all I had not to cry until I was out of their sight. When they asked me if I would come and visit, I told them yes not because I feel obligated but because I already miss them and because I want them to be in my life. When Veronique's brother stopped by a few hours later and for the first time talked to me like he was comfortable and not because he felt obligated, I just wanted to hug him. They are now family.
The Cake Lady and I have known each other for five years now. She and I share similar family insanity and she is one of the few people I am completely comfortable around. I can go to her house and sit around and talk to her while she moves around cleaning and cooking and being the awesome mom and wife that she is and I can just bask in her happiness. She listens to me differently than other people listen to me. And she and I relate to each other in a way that is unique to our friendship. Our kids love each other and have known each other for so long that it's like they never didn't know each other. They are family.
I have
other family too, people who have entered my life and been so impactful that I can't help but consider them family. Maybe this has a lot to do with my family being so fucked up. The relationship I have with my mother is so far from ideal. My childhood was crap. I also think that is the reason that I embraced motherhood so much. Because I was making my family. No more abuse, no more alcoholics, no more screaming and yelling, no more patronizing, no more disappointment. I wouldn't allow anyone to inflict upon my daughters the things that I had experienced. I wanted to live vicariously through them and experience all of the things I should have had through their eyes with double the enjoyment because I was providing them with it.
I am slowly realizing that I have to go out and find my 'family'. That while the people I am technically related to are my family by blood, there is another family out there that is mine. People I want to share my life with and who's live I want to be a part of. I am lucky to have known and to have found the people in my life.
~Kate
so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 2:59 AM
| link to this post | 0 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer