Tuesday, May 12, 2009
I'm the last person that should give cooking advice but...
This past weekend, on Mother's Day, the girls and I set out on a cooking slash baking adventure. Amanda had been begging me for pot pie and I had recently read Smitten Kitchen's post on scones made with heavy cream. So rather than clean the kitchen, which is what I normally do on Sundays, we destroyed it.
In fact, half way through Sunday when I was thinking about blogging about this, I wasn't sure if I wanted to recommend it since the mess is so astronomical.
As. tro. nom. ical.
The food was stunning but I have to be honest, I am not meant to be a kitchen chic. I do not like can't effing stand cleaning up the kitchen. If the dishwasher has to be ran more than once, I'm out.
BUT since I had promised Amanda a freaking pot pie and it was Mother's Day and I wanted to spend time with the girls, I sucked it up and endured the destruction of my kitchen and the impending cleanup job that lurked in the not so distant future.
Where I failed you as a blogger, I did not take pictures.
I thought about it several times through out the day but my camera was in the car and I didn't want to leave and go get it. I was really enjoying the time with the girls.
Anyway, we made the following three things, all of which I can recommend as being really good!

Chicken Pot Pie
We didn't change much about this recipe or process except that we didn't have any baking bowls so we made one large pot pie in a 9x15 glass pyrex dish. Oh and we added corn. My kids really loved it. If I make it again, I will prepare everything in advance instead of all on the same day.
We also made one for Ruthie with no meat. We used cream of celery soup as a base and used pretty much all the veggies in my house including soy beans and zucchini. It was made in the smaller square pyrex pan and she liked it.


Dreamy Creamy Scones
We used strawberries. I'm sure we broke all kinds of baking rules but we thawed about a half cup of strawberries and cut them up and threw them in. They definitely added to the moisture and we probably should have cut some of the cream out but we didn't. They fall apart pretty easily but are really good.

Chocolate Scones
We didn't change ANYTHING about these... they were sooo good. We made all of our scones in muffin tins instead of cutting them though. Make these as soon as you possibly can. I had dreams about them. Sooo goood.

Labels: , , , , ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 4:06 AM
| link to this post | 0 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer