Wednesday, May 13, 2009
Apple Scone Pie
Monday was a bad day. I will tell you the story soon, once it has a conclusion. But just take my word for it, it was a bad day. So bad that on Monday night I couldn't sleep and on Tuesday I was so effing mad that I couldn't sit still. This led to two good things:
1. I got a BUNCH of work done.
2. I baked three different kinds of scones.

And I have to tell ya'll, I am turning into quite the little scone baker.
I'm doing CRAZY things like changing the recipes.
And they actually come out better.
It's shocking.

One recipe I tweaked yesterday turned out so freaking good that I need to share it with you. I encourage you to go to the store TONIGHT and get the ingredients for this and make it immediately. In fact, make two. Make one to eat by yourself and one to take to work so everyone will refer to you as "that goddess" for the rest of the year.

Trust me, no one is more shocked than I am right now that I am about to post a recipe. I can see The Cake Lady in the back of the room dabbing away a tear.

Apple Scone Pie
(or Scone Apple Pie... or Scone thing with apples in it... or Round Scone of Goodness...)

You will need for the sconey part:
A glass pie plate pan thing I don't even own one of these but luckily I hadn't returned the one I borrowed from TCL yet so I had one.
2 cups of self rising flour
1/2 cup of white sugar I don't know how much it affects the recipe but I only use raw sugar which is completely unprocessed and tastes different to me. You can buy Sugar in the Raw on your baking isle... I use another brand and the name escapes me right now...
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cold (1 stick) I don't know what the difference is between salted and unsalted butter but I almost always buy unsalted because I figure it is easier to put salt in than take it out.
2 eggs
1/2 cup of heavy cream or whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla


You will need for the yummy apple filling:
Three large apples
of your choice, peeled, cored and in bite sized chunks... I used gala because I like those. I think I'm going to try it with pears... or peaches...
Cinnamon, 1 tbsp I never measure cinnamon. You know how much you want on there, go nuts... In fact, you could probably add nuts if you like them. Which I don't. Apparently you can add whatever you want when you are baking! Craziness.
Sugar, 3 tbsp Again, I used the raw sugar, not processed.

Ok, here is where you actually have to pay attention.
Preheat oven to 375. I don't know what that is in Celsius. And quite frankly, the metric system is starting to get on my nerves. (Sorry Lola!!)
I started by mixing together my flour and raw sugar and then you need to cut up the butter and mix it in with your hands. I don't know if there is another way to do it if you have one of those awesome mixers that I can't afford. But you want the butter to be blended it well, kind of like your making a graham cracker crust...
Set aside.
Peel, core and chunk your apples and then toss in a bowl with the sugar and cinnamon until coated. Eat a few pieces. Good right?
Set aside.
Get the first bowl with the flour mixture in it and add the cream, eggs and vanilla to it. You can mix yor liquids together first if you want, I didn't. And mine came out really good so I don't think you have to.
Now for some reason you don't want to over mix. I don't know why but The Cake Lady told me not to, the other scone recipes I've tried told me not to, so just don't do it.
Over mixing is bad.
Mix it together enough to be combined. I did this with a wooden spoon because I love wooden spoons. Which is kinda weird since that was what my mom would pop us with when we were bad as kids. No, really. Noah and I used to hide them when we knew we were in trouble.
Once you've got it mixed together, you'll want to butter or grease or spray your pie pan so it won't stick to it. Then you will need some regular flour for your hands because this stuff is sticky. Take about half and pat it into your pan and up the sides. Once you've got it all lined like a pie crust, put your apples in. Take remaining scone batter and cover apples. I patted it in my hands and just laid it on top.
Now this part is optional. I was making another batch of scones that called for an egg and a tablespoon of heavy cream was mixed and then brushed on top and since I had some left over, I used the rest on here. It made the top all glossy and pretty. Then I sprinkled, VERY generously, with sugar.
Probably a quarter of a cup.
Hey, when I'm mad, calories don't get counted.
Then I baked it for about forty-five minutes give or take, the top is all golden brown at this point.
It stayed in the oven all night and then this morning I brought it to work where I microwaved it for about four minutes and cut into it.
It was freaking amazing.

Go forth and make an apple scone pie thingy.

Labels: , , , ,

so eloquently put by katehopeeden at 10:25 AM
| link to this post | 1 spoke |


Who: katehopeeden
Where: San Antonio, Texas Yeah, so I am all that you see here. I am friendly and kind, crazy and bitchy, playful and flirty... sometimes I am funny but mostly I just write the first thing that comes to mind and then stop when it ends. I love life and I am lucky to be living the one that I am. Want to know more?
Click here!




12/14/84 - 1/26/05


"The most wasted day is one in which we have not laughed"

"Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t stop and look around once in a while you might miss it."

"Guys are like stars, there's a million of them out there but only one of them can make your dreams come true." "Don't spend your life with someone you can live with, spend it with someone you can't live without."

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you will still land among the stars"



Veronique

Yoda

Hot Toddy

Finding Liz

The Adorable DB

Tux Baby
Malcolm (he'll be back)

They'll All Fall

we grabbed the lion

Red Hot Sexy Papa

Snow

dooce

Madi (my stalker)

Did I miss you?
Do you feel left out and sad?
Click that link up there
and email me your blog!

Childhood Memories

My Mother

The Story of AZ

The Time In Between

The Beginning Of NY

The man from my dreams

The End Of NY

Growing and Changing

Learning to Cope

These are a work in progress. They are in the right order, but more will fill in the blank spaces in time as I write them.

"I just got done reading the history lessons on your blog (yes, I've been lurking on your blog). All the respect I had for you...has increased, like, tenfold. I don't think I could have done it. To go through what you have and not only still be able to discuss it with such wit and poise, but also to raise those three gorgeous girls. You are truly an inspiration. You are honestly one of the strongest people I have ever known, either online or IRL. Thank you so much." -Stef

www.flickr.com
katehopeeden's photos More of katehopeeden's photos

That cracked my shit up! TM

Kate went to Dallas?

You asked Kate questions?

Kate was stung by a Scorpion?

Kate met Mr. I?

Kate got pissed?

There was a mouse?

Kate shared?

Kate confessed?

Kate turned 25?

Kate shared some more?

"There are some of us out here who are living vicariously through you, okay?! So for god's sake, let us have some fun and excitement!" -Educated Liberal

"I LOVE inner monologues. They rock!"
-Hot Toddy


Ebay

The Gym

Morning Monologue

RHBlogger 2nd runner

sizzling RH 05







referer referrer referers referrers http_referer